Kaunas: American Dream
This tour is priced for minimum of 2 guests. Any other guest +€35
Kaunas is a city like no other, once used to be a red brick defensive castle by the river, but much later turned into a glamorous, sparkly and a bit dreamy capital of Lithuania.
History of the city + glamour of interwar capital of Lithuania
Fun walk around Kaunas city center, get to know the history of the temporary capital, the past and how people used to lived here.
Enjoy picturesque views and get answers to the following and many other questions:
• Do you know that not only New York has Statue of Liberty, but Kaunas too? The American Statue of Liberty embodies the Roman Goddess of Freedom, while the Kaunas statue created by the local sculptor Juozas Zikaras - three different women
• You will learn how Lithuanians “forgot” to play football and why basketball became a national sport. What does USA has to do with it?
• How to explain the Lithuanian craze for cinema and true love for Hollywood? Subtitles were shown in cinemas in all four languages (Lithuanian, Russian, German and Polish)
• Why was Kaunas a Casablanca of the North and a diplomatic corps - a state within a state? Wild parties, jokes and all the crazyness of the capital
• How „minister of propaganda without the rank“ tried to save Lithuania from extinction?
• One of the most iconic buildings in Kaunas is central post office. Did you know that the architect who created it was inspired by a simple farmhouse?
• There was the shortage of men in Lithuania, as they found themselves in America! So when lithuanian decided to find a wife, he had to go to the post office…
• There was no speed limit in Lithuania and only few rules to regulate traffic. Driving was a very dangerous activity as even bus drivers used to drive drunk
• According to the British diplomat the three most dangerous drinks in Lithuania: Krupnik, Bison bitter and Berry wine. The safest drink is vodka!
Cheers and welcome to the Lithuanian-American dream ;-)
Inclusions: Local English-speaking guide
Exclusions: Lunch, items of a personal nature and tips or gratuities for your guide.
Dress standard: Standard dress, comfortable walking shoes. Please check the local weather conditions before your tour, and dress appropriately for it.
Confirmation of booking: If you have received your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
P: +370 616 20002 or +370 616 20007
Meeting point: Kaunas Basilica of the Resurrection of Christ, Zemaiciu str. 31A.
Suggested starting time: 1.00 PM
Ending point: By Presidential Palace on Vilniaus str. 33